Pan Roasted Salmon with Wasabi Mashed Potatoes, Grilled Vegetables & Ginger Demi Glace
March 30, 2017
What you need
- 5 salmon fillets, each about 150g, skin on, scaled.
- 225g sugar
- 240ml rice wine vinegar
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 5 litres beef stock, boiled to reduce by half (click here for beef stock recipe)
- Wasabi mashed potatoes
- 900g potatoes, peeled, quartered and cut into 2-4 pieces roughly the same size
- 2 tbsps wasabi powder
- 240 ml double cream
- Grilled vegetables
- 1 thick carrot, sliced an angle about 1-2mm thick
- 1 thick courgette, sliced an angle about 1-2mm thick
- Vegetable oil
To make the sauce
- Heat sugar in a pot on very low heat until it melts. Cook it slowly. Once the sugar takes on a rust colour on the sides of the pot, with a wooden spoon, stir it around. You want to cook the sugar until it takes on a caramel colour.
- Once it gets to the caramel stage, add the ginger. A steam will arise as the ginger releases its juices. Let it cook until the juices are almost gone.
- Add the vinegar and reduce the liquid by half.
- Add the reduced stock, bring to a boil and reduce until it coats the back of a spoon. The taste should be sweet, sour, and then ginger. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix add 2 tablespoons of water and stir. It should be more liquid than the wasabi served in Japanese restaurants.
- Add the cream so you have a light green sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
To make the mashed potatoes
- Place the cold water with a little salt.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes or until tender. The quick test is to remove a potato, cut it, and if there is no resistance, then it is ready.
- Pass the potatoes through a food mill and puree.
- Pour a little wasabi cream into the potatoes, folding I tin so that they are nice and creamy. The flavor should be subtle and not overpowering.
To make the Salmon & Vegetables
- Grill the vegetables: preheat a medium grill, toss the vegetable slices in a little oil, and season with salt and pepper. Grill for about 2 minutes on each side until tender.
- Season the salmon on the skin side.
- Place a frying pan over high heat and coat with oil. Once the oil gets close to smoking-hot, reduce the heat and place the salmon in, skin side down. Cook for about 5 minutes (the skin should be crispy).
- Season the topside of the salmon and flip it over, then reduce the heat to very low. Continue to cook for 4 minutes. Remove and pat off excess oil.
- Place the wasabi potatoes in the middle of the place and the vegetable slices around it.
- Place the salmon on top and drizzle the sauce around the plate.